Wills: What You Need to Know for You and Your Clients
NOTE: We don't yet know if this will be a Zoom online event, and/or an in-person event. Please check back.
Our speaker, Lindsey Louro of McLeod Law LLP, will provide her expertise of what you need to know for you and for your clients in terms of:
- Testamentary autonomy in Alberta
- What revokes a will
- Simple things like what is required to make a will in the province
- What age are you able to make a will
- Dying Intestate
- Should registered plans and life insurance policies be listed in wills
- What if you have a corporation, use of dual wills is used in other provinces – use in Alberta
- How forgiveness of debt can be incorporated into the will
- Requirement for wills with assets in other provinces, or assets in AB
- Use of multiple Testamentary trusts for children
- Differences for spouses or “common-law”
- Power of Attorney’s – springing, etc.
- Health Care Directives
Lindsey has been practicing since 2012 and joined the Wills, Trusts, and Estates group at McLeod Law in 2019. Lindsey is also a member of STEP Canada (the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) with TEP status through the completion of the STEP Diploma.
She loves to assist clients in exploring their estate plans to create comprehensive Wills, Enduring Powers of Attorney, and Personal Directives that feel right for each of her clients and to ensure that their wishes and intentions are understood and conveyed in their planning documents.
Lindsey is the Chair for the Canadian Bar Association, Wills, Estates, and Trusts Section (National), and a member of the executive of the Canadian Bar Association, Wills, Estates, and Trust Section (Alberta South).
Lindsey loves hockey, cycling, reading, rainy days, and spending time with her family.
In-person registration cutoff is 3:00 PM on February 15th (**NOTE: If we can resume sessions at hotels, this will change.). No late registrants please. No refunds, unless ECPAC cancels the event. Registration must be completed prior to these times.
Please pass this event information on to your colleagues. Members and guests can register for online sessions. This changes if we return to hotel sessions. Please see the main events page for more details on registering.
If you have a problem registering please contact Richard Sherry at Richard@TheBookkeepingDepartment.ca.